Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chateau Morrisette Blushing Dog



Name:  Chateau Morrisette Blushing Dog

Variety:  Semi-sweet blush table wine
Region: Virginia
Country: United States
Year: 2011
Price: $8.99 (Kroger)

Winery review:  A refreshing semi-sweet blush wine made from a distinctive blend of Vidal Blanc and Traminette, with a touch of Chambourcin for depth as well as the inviting blush color. Lush aromas of flowers and fruit are balanced by crisp acidity. (Winery, thedogs.com)

My review: I wanted to try some local wine for this review. I’ve tried several of Chateau Morrisette’s wines but haven’t seen this one on the shelf before. I usually like their wines, including Red Mountain Laurel and Our Dog Blue, so I was excited to try this.

I poured it into the standard Vintage Cellar stemware and swirled. I was surprised how long this wine took to have any nose at all. It just smelled fairly nondescript for a long time. Once it began to breath, though, it was overwhelmingly floral. Not roses, at all, but more spring wildflowers.

The blush wine was far sweeter than I expected a “semi-sweet” wine to taste. It tasted very floral and citrusy, pretty pleasing although I think I would’ve liked a slightly drier wine here. The more it breathed and warmed the better it was and the more the flavor came out. I didn’t detect the amount of fruit that others have tasted with this wine; the floral notes really overwhelmed this blush.

I would definitely try this again, probably with dinner this time.

I tasted this on its own with no food.


No comments:

Post a Comment