Sunday, January 26, 2014

Riunite Lambrusco: Sweet, fruity, inexpensive. The Budweiser of American imported wine.



Name: Riunite Lambrusco
Variety: Lambrusco Maestri, Marani, Montericco, Salamino, Lancellotta.
Region: Emilia Romagna, Daunia
Country: Italy
Year: 2012
Price: $6 (Food Lion)
Abv: 8% (low)

Winery review: Riunite Lambrusco is a red wine, a sparkling wine and a sweet wine ~ and it is one of the most cherished drinks in the U.S. Forest berry, raspberry and cherry will come through on the nose and the mouth will be dominated by fizzy sweetness. According to the Italian Wine and Food Institute in New York, Lambrusco remains the number two imported wine in the U.S. after Pinot Grigio. April 2010 (Wine Enthusiast)

My review: This was probably the first wine I ever tried. It’s a favorite of my parents for inexpensive, cheap wine and when I saw it at Food Lion I decided to get a bottle. I had it chilled out of stem-less glasses—not the most appropriate for a chilled wine but they were what was clean in my college apartment. I understand this is a massively imported Italian wine and very popular among the average consumer.

The nose with this wine was very subdued at first. All I could smell was sweet and vaguely fruity. After it warmed up the berry smell came into its own. Tasting notes were overwhelmingly raspberry. I didn’t get the cherry or strawberry notes that other reviews seem to get from this wine. It was overwhelmingly sweet but the alcohol taste and smell came through as well.

I will definitely drink this again. It was a perfect wine to be inside during a freak snowstorm with the girlfriend. She enjoyed it as well, saying it was sweet but not in your face like many of the fruity drinks she likes.

I tasted this with a mushroom and spinach casserole I made. It balanced the spiciness of the dish very well; the bottle indicated would be a good pairing.


No comments:

Post a Comment