Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Loredona Riesling 2011


Name: Loredona Riesling
Variety: Riesling
Region: Monterey
Country: California
Year: 2011
Price: $8.95 (Vintage Cellar)

Winery review: 
The nicely complex nose features typical floral, and lied honied lemon curd notes with a touch of exotic banana. This is off dry but well balanced with supple, lemony fruit and a nice herbal counterpoint. Simple and easy yet appealing. 84pts (Snooth)

My review: I picked this up on a whim during last Thursday’s tasting for the wine dinner that night. I was very happy with the complexity of this Riesling. Riesling could easily be my favorite varietal at the moment. The nose was citrus and spring flowers, and a note that was very hard to place. My first thought was wood but not in the way of a strong red can be woody. This was more of a smell I associate fondly with old houses. Mildew? Cedar? I’m not sure. I would love for somebody with a more refined palate to take a stab at what this could have been.

This was balanced, just sweet enough, and had a vaguely floral aftertaste. I would definitely drink this again.

I tasted this on its own with no food.


No comments:

Post a Comment