Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Beaulieu Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2012



Name: Beaulieu Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2012
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2012
Price: $7.99 (Kroger)

Winery review: Pale, green-yellow color. Distinctive grapefruit, honeydew and lemon zest aromas are very forward and fresh, with a touch of green apple adding a high note. Medium bodied, with melon-citrus fruit flavors framed by ripe acidity. Zesty, highly aromatic, yet richer than previous vintages.

My review: Great for the price! I’ve tried other Sauvignon Blanc at this price and this one rocks. The nose was highly aromatic with nice fruity, citrusy notes. I got a little bit of sweet candy as well on the nose. The mouthfeel was very thin and what I’d expect from a Sauvignon Blanc. This really lacked the grassy, summer-ey notes that New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc’s I’ve had; I haven’t found that in a California Sauv Blanc yet.

I cooked with this wine in my mushroom risotto and really enjoyed it for that as well. When I started heating it and took the lid off my rice the wine smell permeated. It was really interesting that it smelled like a grape vine and in no way like the notes I smelled upon tasting this wine.


I tasted this with a mushroom risotto I made. It paired nicely and balanced the earthy and spicy onion and mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment