Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Villa da Filicaja Chianti Superiore 2009



Name: Villa da Filicaja Chianti Superiore 2009
Variety: Chianti Superiore – 90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot
Region: Tuscany
Country: Italy
Year: 2009
Price: $12.00

Winery review:  Plum, some oak, and light acidity. Rather dry with a moderate finish. Generally good for an inexpensive Chianti. (Cellar Tracker)

My review: I wanted to try a Chianti and chose this one at Vintage Cellar because it was reasonably inexpensive compared to the other offerings they had. This one was pretty good but I’m not sure it was a typical Chianti. I think next I want to try one of the Chianti Classico’s with the straw basket.  Anyway, back to this wine. This wine poured dark. It smelled of dark, dark red fruits, musty, and was a little off-putting to be honest. I tasted this wine expected a Syrah-style kick judging from the darkness and big aromatics but was met with a super light tasting wine. In some ways, it reminded me of the red earthy flavor of a Malbec. As it warmed it definitely softened and became more drinkable.

I would probably drink this wine again but not at $12 (even though I’m sure it was a fair price). I want to try other Chianti.  

I tasted this on its own with no food.


No comments:

Post a Comment